Friday, November 6, 2009

Mrs. Squash


Hi there! Afterhours has been bugging me to stop slacking on the blogging, so here I am. Okay, so let me make this quick.
Picture # 1: Squash bread pudding. I don't really remember how I made it. This picture is from, like, two O Chem tests ago!
Picture # 2: More squash. This time in a risotto with half arborio rice and half wild rice. Oh, those little red flecks are peppers from our neighbor's garden. The reason we ate so much squash is that there were also Delicata squash in the garden. Delicata is my favorite kind of squash, but the ones in the garden were not as good as the store-bought ones. I say, leave squash growing to the experts, especially when you live in Berkeley where the summers are chilly. Anyways, these squash dishes were cheap, satisfying, and a bit mushy. The crunchy-chewy quality of wild rice was a good counterpoint to the mushiness of the squash.
Picture #3. This was delicious! It may look a bit like airplane food from the 1990s, but the dish had a warmth and depth to it on account of cinnamon sticks and cloves. This recipe is called "Irish Stew," but it is actually a Parsi recipe from the wonderful book, My Bombay Kitchen:Traditional and Modern Parsi Home Cooking, by Niloufer Ichaporia King.



No comments:

Post a Comment