Friday, March 5, 2010

Spinach-Shitake mushroom Tofu Dumplings

A standby favorite recipe from my vegetarian soul-mate Yumi

Dumplings are such comfort food. Whatever form they take, perogis, wontons, potstickers, mandoo!, samosas, ravioli, etc, they will warm your heart and stomach. They're also great because it doesn't matter what you put in them. They will be good no matter what.

Does everyone get this much comfort from dumplings? Maybe it's the case especially for me because growing up, on Sundays, my dad and I would fold dumplings together. We'd compare how "neatly" pleated our dumpling folds were. "Like this--90 degrees, see? Like this?" My dad would say as if he had somehow engineered the perfect dumpling folding technique. Sometimes we'd make over a hundred to store in the freezer! As soon we got enough made to feel confident that we were making progress, my mom would run over, take our wrapped works of art and toss them into boiling water. We'd eat them just as quickly as we made them.

This particular dumpling is normal gyoza skins. The filling consists of shittake mushrooms, minced garlic and ginger, drained frozen chopped spinach, crumbled firm tofu, scallions, pepper and soy sauce. Sautee dumplings in a pan and for the dipping sauce try a 1 part soy sauce to one part water with a bit of lemon juice and minced ginger. I dare you to try saving some because they will disappear! One time Yumi and I made 60 of these and ate all of them in one sitting. This is why we are best friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment