Friday, March 12, 2010

Tortilla Espanola

Chef Anna here. This photo is from a while ago, when I decided to make a Spanish themed dinner (or at least it's my conception of what one would like... it's probably not that accurate). Anyways, this dish is called tortilla espanola (Spanish omelet). It's sort of tricky to actually make but the preparation is easy. Basically several pounds of potatoes are cut into circular slices and are fried in a pan with onion. A few eggs that have been whisked are then added. The tricky part is keeping the potatoes, the onion, and the egg formed into an object that looks like a pie. Just like paella, the bottom is browned before serving. However, unlike paella, the tortilla espanola is served bottom side up so you get a beautiful brown top as seen in the picture.

I served the tortilla espanola with a bit of romesco sauce, a Spanish sauce made with pimiento peppers, red pepper flakes, garlic, paprika, tomato, and almond paste. It is EXTRAORDINARY!

The salad is simple, being just a bunch of spring greens and dried apricots, tossed with balsamic vinaigrette, and some parmesan cheese on top (so maybe that's not totally Spanish, but whatever). I'm dipping into my Italian roots there. =)

2 comments:

  1. OK, so I was just wondering what to make for dinner tomorrow, and I also picked up some on-sale red potatoes at the Bowl. This sounds terrific! But I find my brain having trouble with the idea of frying a few pounds of potatoes, getting them all actually cooked, while keeping them looking like slices and not skoodging them all up. Evidently, it works...? How long do you fry them? I have some cilantro to use up, too, so could add that, perhaps into the egg mix. The romesco sauce sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw your version of the recipe on your food blog. Looks delicious and I really love the cilantro addition! =) I will eat cilantro with just about anything.

    It's been a while since I made the recipe but I do remember following this recipe as a guide:

    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tortilla-Espanola-102944

    Perhaps the boiling potatoes they suggest using stick together better than other potatoes? I often just cover a huge pan with foil for 45 minutes to slightly steam the potatoes but not have them burn (a trick my boyfriend taught me; he's got a lot of experience making homefries). We also try to cut them into very thin circular slices to help speed up the frying.

    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I don't get e-mail notifications from this blog. I need to figure out how to fix that.

    ReplyDelete